Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Internet cafe
Internet cafes are such weird places. Dozens of us, ipods on, clicking away to our far-away friends. It'd be nice if they served drinks. The really good news is that Laura who, good or bad, got me this crazy gig, is going to visit for work in 1 1/2 weeks. How fun to gossip in person! I'm in orientation this week with 15 other people who are new hires from all over the London area. My favorite person is Amanda who sits next to me: she's a senor nurse from a clinic and is large, outspoken, and funny. A lovely quiet man from Somalia, Amanda and I had to do a group activity and Amanda kept absent-mindedly scratching between her quite visible breasts with a pencil to Somalia's obvious discomfort. Classic. Her best line of the day was when she abruptly spoke over the boring, shy quality guy: "sorry love, i fell asleep for a minute. What's that you say about...." In other news I've been invited to my beloved boss SS's house for dinner (along with the two program support managers on my team) to spend time with Nepal boss KT, who will be in town for a conference. All kinds of new things: I get to meet SS's family, I might get some Bangladeshi food, and I get to make nice with KT all at one event. The other day I went to lunch with a temp who happens to be from Kathmandu and her husband is in the Nepalese military (he's here working at the embassy). She was asking me about my job in Kathmandu (she knows little about my company since she's just a temp) and all of a sudden she sat up and blurted out "you're going to be working for KT!" If a random military wife knows of her then she has to have some major exposure. Am fascinated. Alright, I'm going to get myself home before the pubs let loose the drunks. xoc
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I just wrote the longest greatest comments and it wouldn't post and then I clicked out of it....what's up with that??!!!!
We are going to fly standby to india on the 10th. If we miss it we will try on the 11th. If we don't make the 11th, we can't make the wedding and the trip is off. That's the latest. How fun that Sabs will be there too! I will let you know if London looks possible as soon as I know :) I love and miss you very much.
Laura, life is really, really unfair. I also learned the hard way to write a blog posting or comment in one continuous sitting or you're a goner. German website. Ria, of course you're going to make it to India. Did I tell you about my friend Ria who's going to India?! Tell Tony that The Albany is an appealing dive. xoc
Wait a minute - is this really my ex-London friend? What have you done with her...."I'm going to get myself home before the pubs let loose the drunks." Girl you are in London, go with it...miss ya! :)
Kelly, I didn't even realize how old lady that sounded! I'm even more embarassed that I've only been to the pub once, with Mark. I'll go lots with Janice, Sabrina and Laura. Wish you were here!
Post a Comment